Assistant Controller | Bank | Remote
Phoenix, AZ US
The Assistant Controller assists the Controller to coordinate, administer and process accounting and financial reporting activities of the Bank. Perform the day-to-day activities involving the banks general accounting systems, including calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain and record financial data for use in maintaining internal and external financial reporting and statistical records by performing the following duties. Works with the Controller in developing policies, procedures, and objectives in these areas.
- Support the Controller in the preparation and accurate development of all Bank governmental reporting including the Call Reports, Annual Reports, Press Releases, and Business Property Statements including other tax reporting documents.
- Participate in the preparation and accurate development of all Bank financial Board Reports.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget and asset liability model under the direction of the Controller and CFO.
- Assist the Controller in the annual CPA audit, internal audit and supervisory examiner visits, preparing request lists, entry schedules, customer confirmation, and tax information gathering and reporting.
- Compile and prepare various reports - liquidity report, loans, deposits & securities concentration report, cash management, investment portfolio, lending limits quarterly and year end reports and financial statements.
- Assist the Controller in the maintenance of the chart-of-accounts and unit hierarchy structure for the General Ledger System. Make recommendations to open and close accounts and units as required.
- Review and complete all month-end closing accounting entries and assist with month end closings as required including analysis of unusual expense fluctuations.
- Prepares and compiles the reconciliation and monthly certification of assigned general ledger accounts to appropriate subsystems and other supporting documents.
- Reconciles, researches, and resolves outstanding correspondent bank account entries including daily fed funds sales. Interacts with bank staff on research items.
- Reconciles and maintains daily balance sheet and income statement and clears out of balance daily un-posted debits and credits.
- Perform review of items that have defaulted to the suspense accounts of the General Ledger System. Determine nature of problems and make corrections as necessary.
- Prepares routine and special reports as scheduled and/or requested.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred, or closely related field, and 3-5 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be analytical and possess good human relations qualities and communication skills.
- Demonstrate the skill and ability to handle difficult and sensitive business situations.
- Bank and business accounting functions.
- Banking laws and regulations.
- General banking operations and systems, including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets and Prepaids.
- Financial planning, reports, and budgeting concepts.
- Board reporting software.
- Report writer experience.
- Preparation regulatory reports, including the Call Reports.
- Month-end and year-end closing preparations.
- Customer service and operations practices in the banking industry.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, and present information and data in an effective manner.
- Plan, organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Analyze and solve work problems.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing.